Before the specs of the iPad had been announced in January of this year, Dave Rees and I posted a wish list for the features we wanted the ‘iTablet’ to possess. Both of us hoped for an 8 x 4″ sized device. When I learned that the iPad would be closer to 8 x 10″, I was really disappointed. I didn’t want something that HUGE. But then I got my hands on one and it was love at first swipe. That was months ago though… the landscape for non-Windows tablet devices is shifting. Where the iPad was the only gun in town, we now have choices. Once such choice is an Android tablet like the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Sprint recently sent me a loaner device to try. Let’s take a look.
Hardware Specifications
Carriers: Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile, US CellularOperating System: Android 2.2 (Froyo)
CPU: Cortex A8, 1GHz CPU, Hummingbird
Memory Capacity: 512MB(ROM) + 512MB(RAM) + 128MB(One D-RAM) + 2GB (User Memory) + 16GB microSD™ card preinstalled (supports up to 32GB microSD card)
Display Type: 7.0″ WSVGA TFT (w x h: 600 x 1024 px)
Connectivity: Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0
Camera (Front): 1.3MP
Camera (Rear): 3MP Auto Focus
Sensor Type: Accelerometer, Geomagnetic, Luminance, Gyro
Battery: 4000mAh
Form Factor: Tablet -Portrait Primary
Dimensions (Wx H x D): 7.48 x 4.74 x 0.47 inches (HxWxD)
Weight: 13.58 ounces
Like the Galaxy S phones also from Samsung, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is available from the major US carriers including Sprint, Verizion, AT&T, T-moble and US Cellular. Each one has mobile (3G/4G) data coverage in addition to WiFi. That means they require a 2yr data plan.
Hardware
My first impression of the Galaxy Tab was that it looked like an oversized Samsung Fascinate. The front has a 7 inch display with a half inch bezel on the sides. There are no physical buttons on the face of the device, but below the display are the same 4 soft touch buttons that we find on most Android phones. They are mapped to Menu, Home, Back and Search.Above the display is an ambient light sensor and a front facing camera.
The display is very nice. It’s no AMOLED like the Fascinate, but it’s still very nice. Bright, crisp and clear.
Software
Happily, Sprint doesn’t add a bunch of ‘junk’ apps to the Tab that you will wish that you could delete. The few things they do add are a Hotspot app, Qik video chat app that uses the front facing camera, Sprint Zone and a Gameloft link for game demos.One of the main things I love most about Android is the customization options.
The Galaxy Tab interface is just like other Android devices. You have a home screen that you can add widgets and application icons. This is where Android shines.
System Performance
The Samsung Galaxy Tab is fast. It feels faster than my Droid X even though they both have the same speed processor. I have no complaints at all when it comes to how the Tab performs as far as launching apps, scrolling pages, etc. It’s very impressive.Bottom Line
The best thing about the Samsung Galaxy Tab is its portability, speed and the customization features of the Android OS. The worst thing about it is that it is expensive if you buy it without a contract. And if you do opt for a contract, that saddles you with another monthly data bill. I’d really like to see a WiFi only version like the iPad. I don’t believe that’s an option yet.I think the Galaxy Tab excels as a PDA, email, casual web surfing, ebook reading and game play device. But for real work on non-mobile style web sites, it feels confining. I want to see/try an iPad sized Android tablet. Then, I think I could definitely use one as a desktop replacement. If this is just a taste of things to come though, I’m excited.




0 comments:
Post a Comment